Bob Dylan - Jokerman (Official HD Video)

One of my favorite Dylan songs. Mark Knopfler produced and played guitar, with Mick Taylor on slide. I believe it was the first video on MTV that showed the lyrics. Later in '94, Uncle Eddy called to say "Dylan has been crapping out the joint for the last 15 years, but he's back. I saw him last night in Boston. He's in career form, and playing clubs. New York tonight. You gotta go." Pre-Internet when you had to call around. I was working in North Jersey at the time, so I called around to the scalpers I knew from off-Broadway shows. Landed a ticket to pick up at McHale's Pub in midtown. Scalper on the phone: "Fifty bucks. You walk into McHale's, get a pint, give the bartender my name and yours, and you're all set. There's an envelope behind the bar with your name on it." It happened just that way. And then I walked over to the Roseland to see the greatest songwriter who ever lived from about 30 feet away. Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young were there together, totally geeking out, and they sat in on guitar during the encore of "Rainy Day Women" and "Highway 61." Opening act was an up-and-comer named Sheryl Crow who was so great and charming, played most of her set solo on piano, was about to break out with her first of many hit records and become one of the most prolific artists of a generation. Talk about adding to the true story! She was and is awesome. The point to this story? Dylan opened that night with Jokerman, which he very rarely plays. I thought my mind was going to explode into a million pieces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maiden Voyage

The Pogues - Dirty Old Town

Candlebox - Cover Me (studio version)