Morris Day & The Time - The Bird (Purple Rain Movie Scene, 1984)

Nothing to see here, just some delightfully filthy, greasy Minneapolis funk by one of the greatest bands of all time. In 2010, after 8 days of hiking into and up & down the Grand Canyon, rowing 124 miles down the Colorado River, and sleeping in the sand, I booked a few nights at the Las Vegas Hilton to decompress. Coming out of the hotel elevator I saw a show poster for these guys playing the theater inside the hotel. I freaked out and rushedly told my future ex-wife who'd flown in to spend the long weekend together in Vegas, "Oh my god, I gotta find out when this show is and we are coming back for it!" I was too excited to notice what she told me while chuckling, "the show is tonight, dear." I ran to the concierge to inquire and she sold me a pair of tickets, front row in the balcony, dead center, virtually hovering over the stage. The full original band including Jesse and Jerome. Besides the first dance (John Hiatt's "Have a Little Faith In Me"), this was the only song I danced to at the wedding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maiden Voyage

The Pogues - Dirty Old Town

Candlebox - Cover Me (studio version)